The scia Opto 300 is an ion beam sputtering (IBS) system used for depositing uniform coatings of precision optics.
The system can hold up to 6 sputter targets for flexible, in-situ multilayer deposition, or even a mixed-target deposition.
Fully automatic and continuous processing of substrates is enabled by the system’s two loading positions. Optical in-situ monitoring with integrated test glass changer ensures highest precision and optimized uniformity of coating.
An optional secondary ion beam source can be added on for substrate pre-cleaning, and/or assisting during deposition. This configuration is known as dual ion beam sputtering (DIBS).
scia Opto 300 IBS
scia Opto 300 DIBS configuration
Scia Opto 300 operates on the IBS principle, in which the primary source sputters material from target to the substrate. Both systems also have the option to upgrade to DIBS configuration.
Features and Benefits:
- Variable substrate sizes up to 300 mm dia.
- Automatic loading with two loading positions for continuous processing
- Up to 6 target materials on a rotatable drum
- Each target up to 300 mm x 300 mm
- Optimized geometry for mixed layers or smooth transition between layers
- Excellent process uniformity by substrate rotation (up to 60 rpm)
- In-situ optical thickness monitor (OTM) and test glass changer
- Low stress coatings with optimized coating geometry
- Dielectric mirrors (e.g. rugate filters)
- Optical coatings for high- and anti-reflective layers, bandpass and notch filters
- High laser damage threshold coatings
- Deposition of refractive index gradient layers
- Metallic, seed and protective coatings
- In-situ preprocessing of substrates (etching, cleaning, smoothing)
Anti-reflection coating of a multilayer stack – Ta2O5 and SiO2 on TGG, designed to be transparent for typical laser lines of 633 nm and 1064 nm. Transmission spectra measured with transmission mode of ellipsometer (right).
|Substrate size||up to 300mm dia.|
|Substrate holder||Rotation: up to 60 rpm|
Optical thickness monitor (OTM)
test glass changer
|Ion beam source||Sputter source: 120 mm circular RF source (RF120-e)|
Assist source: 120 mm circular RF source (RF120-e)
|Neutralizer||RF plasma bridge neutralizer (N-RF)|
|Target holder||Target drum with 6 water-cooled targets (each up to 300 mm x 300 mm)|
|Typical deposition rate||Si: 6 nm/min|
SiO2: 9 nm/min
Ta2O5: 6 nm/min
|Uniformity variation||≤ 0.8 % (σ/mean) for 300 mm|
|Base pressure||< 5 x 10-8 mbar|
|System dimension (W x D x H)||4.60 m x 1.80 m x 2.20 m|
Single chamber with double substrate load lock
(without electrical rack and pumps)
|Configurations||Single chamber with double substrate load lock|
|Software interfaces||SECS II / GEM, OPC|